Wednesday, June 1, 2011

FLYING AIRPLANES

Most of my readers are aware of my helping my son out with cleaning windows or wherever I can help him with his company. I lamented my tale of woe of cleaning windows on my blog.  I now have a new adventure with him but this time it was staining wood floors and shellacking them.

How simple it looked. Just apply the stain, let it dry, sand it, and reapply.  When the floor thoroughly dried was where I got to come in.

The floors were now ready to shellac.  My son put a handle with a Lamb's wool attached at the bottom. He had applied the first coat of shellac by a paintbrush and when it dried, he sanded it.

He said, “Mother, pretend this handle is an airplane and you have to land the Lamb's wool. Bring the wool gently to the floor as landing, then real fast in a straight line down to the other end of the room then bring the wool up as if the plane is taking off again. Go to the next row, gently overlap, and land the airplane, run down the runway, and take off again.”

I promise you, this was the exact conversation. He also included not letting it drip, take some of the shellac out of the wool, and move fast as it dries fast.

I dipped the wool into the shellac, rolled it onto the rim to lose some of the shellac, turned around to fly the airplane, stuck my foot into the shellac, spilled it over his newly sanded floor, moved quickly out of the way, got my sock wet with the shellac, got my footprints on the floor as I was making a very fast exit out the door.
There will be no helping my son on his jobs.

1 comment: