Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Some very wise person said, " A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the make of the car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child."

Today, on this joyous day of celebrating our Mother's, all the reason of why we are who we are, come to mind.  Even in the hurts that can happen during the day, just the thought of our Mother can bring a sense of peace to most situations. How many times do we start to do something and realize that we are doing it the same way our Mother did.

 I remember many time thinking my marriage would be happier if I pin curled my hair.  Silly, but Mother's marriage was happy and she always pincurled her hair.  Maybe I should paint my nails. Mother's nails were always clean and painted. Cleaning the house always gives me a good feeling because my Mother,even when she was ill, always made sure the house was clean.

We didn't have a lot of money but every Friday, when Dad got home from work, all the family went to the grocery store. As we children threw in our favorite treats, Mother discreetly put most of them back on the shelf. Yet, we never lacked from some home made treat from her. After grocery shopping, we got to go to the Drive in Movie theatre.  Mother  had  made hot dogs and french fries, all carefully wrapped to stay warm and we had the luxury of buying a cold drink from the concession stand. The concession stand in my eyes at that point in my life was like fine dining.

 Mom took us up to play on the swings while Daddy carefully put out some blankets on the ground so we could be comfortable. It didn't seem like much to some people but it was the ground work for the love I feel for the Mother that so tirelessly made sure her children felt secure. This could be the reason that if my cupboards are bare, I feel like the world is not in sync.

I remember the first time I saw my Mother cry was when her Mother died. I hated to lose my Grandmother but the overwhelming feeling of my Mother's tears brought me into a more awareness of life. In my inner self, I vowed to never make my Mother shed tears again.

As the good and even some bad memories come to mind when we think of our Mothers, they deserve the knowledge of one gift they gave us all.  We will never be able to equal that gift back to them. Their great gift to us was life.

No comments:

Post a Comment